2014 Great Iowa Pet Expo Dates
Saturday, October 18, 2014
10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Sunday, October 19, 2014
10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Varied Industries Building, Iowa State Fairgrounds, Des Moines (map)
Enter at Gate 9
Children (6 – 12): $3
Children (5 and under): Free
The Great Iowa Pet Expo
offers these new features and returning favorites:
• Blessing of the Pets
Is your pet a blessing in your life? Return the favor! A non-denominational Blessing of the Pets will be invoked by Jim Johnson, who operates LovingRest pet funeral home and cemetery.
• Skilled Animal Communicator
Learn what pets are thinking about their life and the people around them. With an astonishing psychic gift and a degree in animal health, Ann Heinrich has been able to do what some animal lovers only dream of—working for USDA Veterinary Services in the Animal Welfare program. This gave her hands on contact with circus animals, exotic animals and birds, research animals, livestock and domestic animals. And of course she talked to all of them!
• See Police Dog in Action
Learn about the duties and skills of police dogs in a demonstration at 11 am Sunday. K-9 Jack is partnered with Officer Alycia Peterson of the Des Moines Police Department. Jack is a German Shepherd trained in tracking, finding illegal narcotics, locating and apprehending criminals, and recovering evidence. K-9 Jack has been working the streets of Des Moines for just over two years. He and Officer Peterson will be at the Expo for several hours Sunday, to meet you and answer questions.
• Canine Craze Performance Team—
Watch the action as local dogs and owners demonstrate the depth of their bond and the breadth of their skills all set to Halloween tunes.
• Contests and Cash Prizes
Costume contests and training challenges offer pets their shot at glamor, glory—and cash! $100 Grand Prize for both the Leave It! contest and the Canine Country Club Ultimate Stay contest! The Canine Country Club Ultimate Stay contest is hosted by WHO Radio’s Simon Conway.
• Ask the Vet
Behavior, nutrition—bring your best pet questions! Several veterinarians will be at the Expo, participating in daily “Ask the Vet” sessions.
• Nail trimming, Ear cleaning, and more
The traveling veterinarian—Dr. Abby Strubbe of Abby’s Road Veterinary Care—will be set up to clean ears, trim nails, and consult on the health of your pets.
• Mounted Patrol
• Meet officers and horses of the Mounted Patrol, the elite equestrian unit of the Des Moines Police Department.
• Meet the Breeds
The number one reason people chose their dog is because they like the way it looks – and from Chihuahuas to Great Danes, the variety of dog appearances is ever-expanding. Stephanie Filer, ARL Team Dog coordinator, will talk about some of the most common dog breeds in Iowa as well as some of the more unique and you’ll have an opportunity to meet a variety of these dogs:
• Face Painting
Kids can look like pets—or wild animals, after a few minutes with face-painter Jenny Dunlop.
• Door Prizes Great pet-related door prizes from our exhibitors given away every 30 minutes!
• Canine Good Citizen award practice and testing. Your dog could graduate! A series of tests created by the American Kennel Club challenge your dog to follow basic obedience commands despite distractions. Certified testers will score your dog—and provide coaching for those that need a little more work.
• Iowa’s largest adoption event: with numerous rescue groups on site, and NEW THIS YEAR: A concentrated drive to match up families with adoptable pets—The ASPCA Mega Match-a-Thon on Sunday will make adopting a pet on-site irresistable.
• Neuter-a-Tom offers on-site neuter, microchip, vaccinations and Revolution treatment for only $20, reservation required, same-day drop off and pick up. Register your cat for either day by calling (515) 460-7729 or e-mail: email@example.com
• Microchip Clinic each day
• Walk the Green Carpet!
Like the celebrities they are, your pets can strut the runway—catwalk?—for a pupperazzi photo with our special big-event backdrop.
• Aisles and aisles—some 100 booths—offering the latest and greatest pet products and services
• PACK THE PET PANTRY
Donate Food for Needy Pets and Win Chance at Prizes
Bring canned pet food to the Expo for a chance to win great prizes. Food goes to pets in financially strapped households. Donations accepted at the Pet Project Midwest booth.
CLICK THE ‘VISITOR INFO’ TAB, ABOVE, FOR DETAILS AND CHECK BACK FOR UPDATES AS THIS YEAR’S SCHEDULE IS FINALIZED